Ashtree House Hotel near Glasgow Airport is located in the quiet residential Oakshaw Central Conservation area just a short walk from restaurants, traditional pubs, and shops. Also the university and museum and other local historical attractions are all within a 5 minute walk including the 12th century Paisley Abbey. Paisley Gilmour street railway station is a 5 minute walk and Glasgow Central takes 10 minutes by train.
Nearby Points of Interest
- Coats Observatory and Museum (0.5 mi)
- The museum, galleries and working observatory were gifted to the town by the Coats family who ran one of the first truly international companies. The museum houses the largest collection of ancient Paisley pattern shawls which were manufactured in Paisley. Also houses the priceless original Audobon book.
- Sma' Shot Cottages (1 mi)
- A wonderful social history museum portraying the working and living conditions of Paisley's weavers.
- Loch Lomond (6 mi)
- Loch Lomond sits within a national park in a beautiful area of scotland just 20 minutes drive from Ashtree House. With the dramatic arrochar alps to the north end and world class golf courses on the west shore this area is not to be missed. Activities include boating, shopping, hill walking, golf and many others. Also accessible by train.
- UWS University of the West of Scotland (0.2 mi)
- A Modern and progressive University with its headquarters campus just 300 yards from the Hotel.
- Paisley Abbey (1 mi)
- Established in 1163 by Walter Fitzalan the High Steward of Scotland and an important centre of religion and trade and thereafter Royal patronage. William Wallace went to school here and went on to play a prominent part in the Wars of Independance in the 13th century. Robert the Bruce's daughter married the Sixth High Steward, Walter. She tragically died at the Abbey following a riding accident but the baby in her womb was saved and became King Robert ll of Scotland the first of the Stewart Kings
- X-scape and Braehead (4 mi)
- Ski-ing largest indoor slope, multi-screen cinema, restaurants and shops and other activities and attractions. All indoor.
- St Mirrin (2 mi)
- Follow the local team in the premier league.
- Paisley Choral Society (1 mi)
- A fantastic week long event with many stunning concerts in amazing venues.
- The Spree (1 mi)
- Paisley's National Festival of Music and Comedy
25-28 October 2012.
- Shopping Centre (1 mi)
- A great town shopping centre with all types of shops.
- Royal Alexandra Hospital (2 mi)
- The Royal Alexandra Hospital is a short 10 minute drive from the hotel and easily accessible by public transport. See web link for for opening times and general information.
Glasgow Airport(2.0mi, 3.2km)
Leave the airport and follow signs for Paisley Town Centre which is just across the M8, (Attractions, Museum, University), then drive up New Street from Storie Street, turn left along the High Street and take the first right into Orr Square and through the gateposts at the top of the cobbles. There is also a frequent Bus link to the centre of Paisley from the airport. NB, you cannot access the Hotel by car from Oakshaw Street on the North, the only way by car is via New Street.
Paisley Gilmour Street Station(1.0mi, 1.6km)
Walk south westerly from the station towards Moss street, then up School Wynd onto Oakshaw Street East, at the top of the hill turn left after the Church, down a cobbled lane. The hotel is at the bottom on the right. It is also a short taxi ride from the rank outside the station.
Leave M8 at either of the junctions adjacent to Glasgow Airport and signposted for Paisley, follow signs for town centre attractions, travelling to the southside of the town centre beside the museum and university, you have to approach the hotel from Storie Street then New Street, then turn left onto High Street and right into Orr Square and go through the gateposts at the top.
NB, you cannot access the Hotel by car from Oakshaw Street on the North, the only way by car is via New Street.